Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Marj and Den's beautiful wedding in beautiful Boracay (starring Paolo Lorenzo Cabato)








Ten years ago when I was a newly married sophomore at the Ateneo Law School, I found out I was pregnant after promising my parents that we would avoid pregnancy.... To abbreviate this story which promises to be long, I had to take a year off from law school.

I was left behind by my batch.... My good friends Kat, Con and Leyton went ahead of me and I was at home taking care of newborn Nico. After a year off from school, I went back with much anxiety. Who will my friends be? Who will dictate the answers to me during class recitations? Argh!


Then I met Marj. She with the American ba or British accent and the deep vocabulary words. She hails from Cebu. She made me laugh and she was really a great find....


We would burn the telephone lines talking about anything and everything.... Back then, I thought that she would never get married.... Then I found out that I was pregnant again!!!! Wow, after finding a friend in my new batch, does that mean I'll get left behind again?
Through luck and hard work, I carried my second son (Liam) during my 4th year in law school.... In the words of Marj, kuto ako ng canteen that time.... When I finally gave birth to Liam, he was 10.2 lbs..... Marj is Liam's ninang....

Fast forward to the early 2000s, Marj told me that she was involved with Den, a fellow Atenean... From my original batch... My jaw dropped... Marj? in a relationship? Oh well, wonders never cease.... This is the reason why when she told me she was getting married in Boracay in December 2007, I booked tickets 6 months in advance... That is how much I wanted this to happen. :)

Nico and Liam were chosen by Marj to read the prayers of the faithful. Did I mention her deep vocabulary words? She made my kids read words with 15 syllables! Joke....
In church pa lang I was thinking what a wonderful beautiful wedding was unfolding before my eyes. It is just palpable in the air that the couple were so much in love and will be happy forever! After the wedding, we went to Seawind for the reception. Drinks and shisha for the cocktail hour..... Picture taking galore! Syempre we had fantabulous food...
Eto na.... Paolo, my youngest son, aka, the most eligible bachelor, was going around the party sans yaya making friends with anyone and everyone.... He was the hit of the party.... He joined tables. Danced with girls and had the bestest time.... He was such a darling... And Marj was smitten, as all the other guests were.... Paolo kissed everyone at the slightest prodding....

He made such an impression that the next morning, while we were bathing in the beach, Marj's wedding ninang approached us with this opening line: "We woke up with Paolo on our minds, can we take him to our resort?" hahahahaha....

1 comment:

MARJ said...

Maggs, as I type this, you are pestering me in the other box. I am constrained to leave a comment here because of the rather forceful way you brandished this blog.

(1) Let me announce my profuse gratitude to Maggs for having agreed to this mutual adoption when we were 2nd year law. Not only was she the only one who out-smoked me. Maggs was the only one who out-cursed me. The crispiness of her profanities is the stuff urban legend is made of.

(2) Den and I concede that the wedding would not have been as special if it were not for Paolo charming all and sundry. Never was a child more adoring than one who was sporting a bump the size of a leghorn egg on his forehead.

(3) The Cabatos remain one of my most favorite families in the world. Next only to the Osmonds and the Nailclippers and of course the Wea Twins.

(4) Liam and Nico were wonderful readers and never showed any signs of stage fright. Quite unlike the bride and the groom.

(5) Lastly, I swear I remember Liam to be much bigger than 10.2 lbs as you claim. As a neonate, he looked capable of walking off with his swaddling clothes.

I think this is a written manifestation that you and your family are loved by me. Take care! Be warned, that if you disclose any more information, I shall retaliate in kind. Hahahahaha!